Follow the Tail!

Warthogs' World

Indian Constitution Day

Priyadarshini Rajendran, Journalist

One of the world’s  current goals is to make sure everyone has a voice. The government of India has captured this idea and proposed to celebrate November 26th to be Constitution Day.

The Deputy Ambassador (Mr. Rajendran) of the Embassy of India in Harare and his colleagues organised a Speech Competition in Westridge School. The competition comprised of two categories, the Junior Category and the Senior Category. Students from different schools came to participate in this event, and I was one of them.

The Indian Constitution is world renown, just for it structural and organised characteristic.

With a country as big as India, it is important that we realise how we handle our country. Not just politically but also financially, intellectually, socially, and culturally. The constitution of India is not just book with rules, but as quoted in the Preface of the constitution, it is the “living document, an instrument which makes the government system work”. This living document contains the framework of the fundamental political principles. It establishes fundamental rights and directs principles and the duties of the citizens by establishing the structure, procedure and finally the powers and duties of government institutions.

The Chief architect of the constitution was B.R. Ambedkar, a dalit (member of the lowest caste). He campaigned against social discrimination and has given India one of the most well written and structured constitutions in the entire world. Form this constitution, India has grown in social equality proving that it in fact is a true democracy.

The constitution imparts constitutional supremacy and not parliamentary supremacy. It is not created by the parliament but by a constituent assembly. The people from the declaration provided in the preamble adopt it. It is not a rulebook that the parliament can override.

On this occasion of constitutional day, the citizens of India resolve to respect, and uphold the supremacy of the constitution.

Let us all grow as true Indians, let us all respect the government of India and the service it has done for us.

I stood 3rd in the Senior Category.

I am thankful to the Embassy of India for giving me such an amazing opportunity, not only to show my knowledge regarding the Constitution of India but also an opportunity for exposing my oratory skills.